John Powell Powell (1769-1849)

John Powell Powell

He was born John Powell Roberts on 3rd November, 1769, the son of William Roberts and his wife Elizabeth (nee Powell). Quex Park was a part of the real estate owned by Elizabeth's brother, John Powell. John Powell died, having never married, in 1783 and Elizabeth and her family inherited his estate. John's elder brother, Arthur Annesley Roberts, was the main beneficiary and as such had to change his name to Powell in accordance with his Uncle's will. Arthur died in 1813 after a fall from his horse and John, as the next eldest surviving son, inherited and duly changed his name as well.

In addition to change ringing John Powell Powell was a yachtsman and collector of cannon. In 1814 he built a round tower (c.50ft tall) at Quex to use as an observation point and signalling tower. A recently found reference in the diaries of John Marsh, English composer (1752-1828), shows that some sort of ringing apparatus using handbells was erected in the round tower and used by the ringers for practice.

John Powell Powell was an early member of the Royal Yacht Club (later the Royal Yacht Squadron) at Cowes in the Isle of Wight which he joined in 1820. His first yacht was the 'Briton', a 95 ton schooner in which he used to sail around the coasts of Britain during the summer months.

In 1828 John Powell Powell published privately a book about his favourite ringing method, Stedman Triples.